UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for May 2, 2019
217 Illini Union
Web site: http://www.aaup-ui.org/
Present: Bettina Francis, Lewis Hopkins, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, Daniel Steward, Leslie Struble, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:28 p.m. with Laugesen presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for April 11, 2019 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) Proposed Schedule of Fall Meetings: The propose schedule based on the meeting at 12:30 p.m. on an early Thursday in the month was approved as follows:
Thursday, September 5 (1st Thursday); instruction begins August 27; Labor Day is Sept. 2.
Thursday, October 3 (1st Thursday);
Thursday, November 7 (1st Thursday).
Thursday, December 12 (2nd Thursday); Reading Day is also December 12
(3) Review of Meeting with Provost Cangellaris. We felt that the meeting had gone well. We will plan on having further discussion on such issues as the new budget model, the Free Speech Task Force; the governance issues with the Carle College of Medicine, and the status of the administrative leave policy.
(4) Review of Annual Meeting. There was agreement that the meeting had good well and thanks to Rosenstock for the all the work he had done to set it up and moderate it. We also thanked Prussing for preparing the proclamation honoring Hilton for his long service to the Chapter including his recent term as President.
(5) Planning for AAUP Activities for 2019-2020
(a) Membership Campaign. It was hoped that we could learn from our experience this year as we continue the campaign.
(b) Meetings with Administrators. We suggested that there be separate meetings with the Chancellor and the Provost and that we could ask Wanda Ward, Executive Associate Chancellor, to be included in the meeting with the Chancellor.
(6) Committee Reports
(a) Activities of Shared Governance Committee. Esfahani reported that we are moving ahead and will be working with the Provost’s staff early in the fall.
(b) Academic Freedom and Tenure. One new case was reported.
(7) Report on Activities of the NTFC Local #6546 Chapter.
(a) Report. Steward prepared a report on the status of the NTFC negotiations with the administration. He highlighted two provisions of their agreement with the Board of Trustees: (a) Member rights to the protection of academic freedom as set forth in the University Statutes and (b) Procedures units shall follow if policies don’t currently exist. He also provided a summary of the issues “at the table” such as: wage increases, workload protection, professional support, multi-year contracts, retirement status, and health care.
(b) Discussion. There was discussion of what actions the Policy Committee might take on behalf of the Chapter. It was suggested that a subcommittee (e.g., Rosenstock, Francis, Steward) review the report and relevant sections of the Red Book and prepare a “sense of the committee” document for review and vote by the Policy Committee.
There were no other reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:10 p.m. As noted above, the first Policy Committee meeting for the fall will be at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 5 in 217 Illini Union.