UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for February 14, 2019
217 Illini Union
Web site: http://www.aaup-ui.org/
Present: Hadi Esfahani, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Bruce Rosenstock, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:34 p.m. with Hilton presiding.
(2) Review of the Minutes for January 24, 2019 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(3) President’s Report. Hilton discussed the following items in his report.
(a) The postponed meeting of the Executive Committee with members of the Board of Trustees has been rescheduled for March 14, 2019.
(b) The meeting of the Policy Committee with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson has been rescheduled for 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on February 28 in the President’s Conference room.
(c) He noted that the reported number of sexual harassment cases on or near campus has increased. This could be a topic for a chapter or annual meeting.
(d) He reported that the Executive Committee meets with Vice Provost Bernhard on December 13, 2018 to discuss issues of mutual interest.
(e) The shared governance questionnaire prepared by Esfahani has been transmitted to the Provost who has been asked to mail it to the faculty.
(f) He noted that we will continue to discuss the potential impact of the proposed merger of the advocacy and CBU sections of the national office.
(5) Schedule of Spring Meetings of the Policy Committee
(a) Policy Committee: The meetings will start at 12:30 p.m. in 217 Illini Union on the following dates:
Thursdays: March 14; April 11; and May 2
(b) Meeting with President Killeen and EVP Wilson: Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
(b) Promotion and Tenure Workshop: Tuesday, March 26, at 3 p.m. in 314B Illini Union.
(c) Annual Meeting: Tentatively Thursday, April 25, 2019
(6) Preparation for Meeting with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson
(a) Schedule: The meeting is on Thursday, February 28, 2019 but the time has been moved to 3:30 p.m. after the President returns from a trip to Chicago.
(b) Review of Agenda: The agenda was set with a few minor revisions.
(7) Meeting with Chancellor Jones. The meeting will be at 11 a.m. on April 11, 2019 in 217 Illini Union.
(8) Planning for the Spring Tenure Workshop
(a) Date and Location: The workshop will be Tuesday, March 26, 2019 in 314B Illini Union.
(b) Speakers: Hilton has arranged for the Provost, the Vice Provost, and the chair of campus P&T committee and will be getting one member of the FAC.
(c) Publicity: All members will be asked to help publicize. The poster has been prepared.
(8) Preparation for Annual Meeting
(a) Date, Location: The tentative date is Thursday, April 25, 2019 in 314 A Illini Union
(b) Selection of Program: Rosenstock will play a major role in arranging the panel.
(c) Selection of Nominating Committee. Hilton has asked Prussing to chair the committee.
(9) Report on Activities of Shared Governance Committee. There was a brief discussion of how we might report on the results once the questionnaires have been returned including the use of the chapter web site.
(10) Report from Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee. Prussing reported briefly on another case that had been brought to his attention.
There were no other reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:40 p.m. As noted above, the next meeting will be on Thursday, March 14, 2019 starting at 12:30 PM in 217 Illini Union