UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, Daniel Steward, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:08 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding. He asked those present to introduce themselves.
(1) Review of the Minutes for April 26, 2017 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) President’s Report. Hilton reviewed the key topics in his report, some of which are covered further elsewhere in the minutes.
(3) Resolution. As part of the President’s Report, Hilton circulated a draft of a resolution from O’Brien expressing our gratitude to Vice President Wilson and President Killeen for their efforts to remove the University from AAUP censure and the efforts from President Killeen and Chancellor Jones to address the presence of hate groups on campuses across the United States. It was suggested that the existence of long-standing AAUP policies regarding the latter by included. A motion to approve the resolution was passed. Hilton and O’Brien will arrange its circulation on the chapter web site and elsewhere.
(4) Schedule of Fall Meetings: The meetings for the rest of the fall are as follows. All will be in 217 Illini Union:
(5) Preparation for Meeting with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson. The draft agenda was reviewed. One added topic will be to ask what the campus is doing in response to the announced revocation of DACA. If our guests would like to join us for lunch, the meeting time will be adjusted accordingly, say from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
(7) Composition of Continuing Chapter Committees for 2017-2018. One change from the Committee leaders for last year will be a shift by O’Brien from Governance to Membership.
(8) Report from our Liaison to the NTFC Local #6546 Chapter. Steward indicated that there was no report today but that their group did have some experience with online elections.
The meeting adjourned at about 1:00 p.m.
As noted above, the next meetings will be on October 11, 2017 in 217 Illini Union.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary