Back to Index of Minutes
UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for March 16, 2016
213 Illini Union
Present: Kenneth Andersen, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, John Prussing, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:04 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for February 17, 2016 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved with two corrections: changing date from 2017 to 2016; renumbering final item to (9) from (8).
(2) Schedule of Spring 2016 Policy Committee meetings: all except Tenure Workshop and Annual Meeting are in 213 Illini Union.
(a) Apr. 13, 11 a.m.: Policy Committee members meet with President Tim Killeen
(b) Apr. 13, noon: regular open Policy Committee meeting
(c) Apr. 14, 2:30 p.m.: Tenure Workshop, 314B Illini Union
(d) May 4, noon: regular open Policy Committee meeting
(e) May 10: Annual Meeting
(3) President’s Report: February 17 to March 16, 2016
(a) Removal from AAUP censure list. It would seem to be difficult to accomplish the steps needed to have this on the agenda for this year’s national AAUP meeting. There has good cooperation between the national AAUP office and campus officials.
(b) Background Checks: Hilton reported on a conversation with Bill Maher, USSP chair. Maher indicated that at the April 4, 2016, Senate meeting the committee will present for first reading a Statute amendment to codify hiring procedures. Hilton noticed last week that a Notice of Appointment (NOA) issued on Feb 26, 2016, still carried the old verbiage about appointments starting on Aug 21 and that the Board of Trustees traditionally approves contracts at their September meeting. He emailed the provost and associate provost and asked them to direct Personnel (HR) to fix the discrepancy. The latter has replied that they are looking into the matter in order to correct the NOA form. There was concern
(c) Tenure Workshop: Hilton has confirmed the availability of the final two members of the panel (see item (6) below).
(5) Preparation for the Meeting with President Killeen. The committee reviewed the draft of the agenda for the meeting. O’Brien and Williamson will work on the version to be sent for the meeting.
(6) Planning for the Spring Tenure Workshop. The workshop is scheduled for 2:30-4 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, in in 314B Illini Union. A copy of the poster and a cover memo were in the packet and will be sent to Chapter members to help them publicize the meeting. We also plan to post the event in eweek and the online version of Inside Illinois and to request that the Provost help publicize it among deans, directors, and department heads.
(7) Report from Nominating Committee and Planning for Annual Meeting.
(a) Report from the Nominating Committee. Prussing reported that the Nominating Committee has selected the current officers to serve during 2016-2017: President: Harry Hilton; Vice President: David O’Brien; Secretary-Treasurer: H. F. Williamson. It was agreed that it is important to broaden the membership base and thus the individuals who could become officers next year. Laugesen noted that we could expect an increase in membership as part of the negotiations with the non-tenure track (NTT) union.
(b) Selection of Program for the Annual Meeting on May 10. It was agreed to have program on the current fiscal crisis in Illinois and what solutions might be feasible. Possible speakers suggested were former Governor Jim Edgar and experts on the Illinois political scene such as Kent Redfield, UIS, and Robert Rich, UIUC.
(8) Discussion of the Mandatory Background Checks Policy. Hilton will continue to monitor the actions undertaken by the Board of Trustees on this issue.
(9) Ad hoc Committees on Governance Issues including Workshop. O’Brien noted that this report could play an important role in making the campus more aware of the Chapter. Williamson will contact Esfahani to see the status of the Committee’s work.
(10) Report on Chapter Web Site. Hilton reported the work Struble has been doing to revise the site.
The meeting adjourned at about 1:20 p.m.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary
As noted above, the next meeting of the Policy Committee will be on April 13, 2016. The Policy Committee will meet with President Killeen at 11 a.m. in 213 Illini Union; the regular, open Policy Committee meeting will be at noon in 213 Illini Union.