Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on February 14, 2011
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Geneva Belford, Lynn Belford, Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Lewis Hopkins, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:10 p.m. with Struble presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for January 18, 2011. These were approved.
(2) Schedule of Meetings for Spring 2011 Semester. The schedule of Policy Committee meetings and of the Tenure Workshop and Annual Meeting were listed in the agenda. The meeting with President Hogan on March 14 in 215 Illini Union is scheduled for 11 a.m. President Hogan is not scheduled to join us for lunch at noon.
(3) Remarks. Hilton reported for himself and Prussing on the Wozniak case. It has been referred to a Grievance Committee in the College of Engineering rather than an independent review committee. The Policy Committee will take no actions at this point but will keep an eye on the situation through the efforts of Prussing and Hilton.
(4) Preparation for Meeting with President Hogan. Spitze emphasized the importance of using our limited time with President Hogan effectively. It was agreed that the first draft of the agenda concerning the “General Discussion” would note that the core principles of the AAUP concern (a) academic freedom and tenure and (b) faculty governance as illustrated, respectively, by the review of the Wozniak case and the handling of the Academy on Capitalism and Limited Government Fund. If time permits after discussion of these issues, we would also cover the proposed reorganization of the University. Regarding the latter, it was suggested that we consider preparing a White Paper covering our concerns about its structure and effects.
(5) Future Meetings with Campus and University Administrators. We will continue our discussion of whom to invite at the March 14 Policy Committee meeting.
(6) Final Plans for Spring Tenure Workshop. Hilton and Williamson summarized the final preparations and invited everyone to attend (2:30 - 4 pm on Feb 15, 2011 in 210 Illini Union, the General Lounge). The participants will again be Richard Wheeler, Barbara Wilson, James Imlay (P&T Committee past Chair), and Billie Jean Theide (chair, FAC).
(7) Selection of Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee will be Williamson (Chair), Hilton, and Spitze. They agreed to serve given that the rest of the Committee will suggest names of new individuals to serve on the Policy Committee and the other Chapter Committees.
(8) Discussion of Actions by the Senate and the Senate Executive Committee. Aminmansour summarized the steps that are being taken by the Senate Educational Policy Committee as part of the procedures for handling the proposal to close the Institute of Aviation.
(9) Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee. Robinson reported that he and Francis will be meeting with an individual concerning that person’s case regarding promotion.
(10) Shared Governance. Williamson reported for Prussing that the Committee will be Lewis Hopkins (Chair), Bettina Francis, and David O’Brien (Art and Design Department).
(11) Report on Chapter Web Site. Caveny reported on recent changes in the site. She and Uchtmann will meet with Grohe, the current webmaster, to learn more about how the site is maintained.