Skip to content

11/7/18 UIUC Policy Committee Summary

    Present:  Hadi Esfahai, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, Robert Parker, John Prussing,  Bruce Rosenstock, Leslie Struble (Skype), H. F. Williamson

    The meeting began at about noon with Hilton presiding.

    1. Introductions.  Hilton thanked Laugesen for chairing the October meeting in his absence.
    2. Review of the Minutes for October 3, 2018 Meeting of Policy Committee.  The minutes were approved. 
    3. President’s ReportHilton noted that he had included a new item in his report which concerned the increase in reported sexual harassment incidents on campus.  There was a discussion of what actions the Chapter leadership might take including reviewing the AAUP positions on this issue and possibly choosing this as the topic for a chapter meeting. 
    4. Review of fall schedule of meetings: 
      1. Regular Policy Committee Meetings:  The final meeting of the semester will be at noon on Wednesday, December 12, in 217 Illini Union.
      2. Policy Committee Meeting with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson.  The proposed meeting on December 12 had to be postponed due to a conflict for President Killeen.  Hilton will work to arrange a new time and date in the spring semester.
    5. Discussion of spring schedule of regular Policy Committee meetings and Annual Meeting
      1. Day of the Week:  The decision concerns whether we meet on Wednesday or Thursday.  The discussion seemed to conclude that Wednesday would be better but the final decision was delayed until the December meeting.  To review, we are essentially choosing between the following sets of dates: 
        • Wednesdays:  January 16, February 13, March 13, April 10, May 1
        • Thursdays:  January 17, February 14, March 14, April 11, May 2 (Reading Day)
      2. Date of Annual Meeting:  No final decision has been made on whether to change this from the date we have chosen the past few years, the Tuesday of final examination week which is May 7, 2019.
    6. Report on Activities of the Shared Governance Committee.  Esfahani reported on the feedback he had received regarding the questionnaire.  There was a discussion of how we might improve the response rate.  He will send a final copy to Hilton so that Hilton can send it to the Provost for circulation to the faculty.  . 
    7. Other Possible Activities for Chapter
      1. Tenure Workshop.  Hilton will continue working with the panelists to arrange a time.
      2. Membership Campaign.  Laugesen and Rosenstock led a discussion of the actions we could take to increase our membership.  It included determining which material prepared by the national office might be suitable for our efforts.  There was a discussion of what the relationship is between the chapter and the NTFC Local #6546 Chapter with regard to AAUP membership.
      3. Meeting with Campus Administrators.  Hilton will review a possible meeting with the Chancellor and/or Provost in the spring once the postponed meeting with President Killeen has been arranged.

    There were no other reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:10 p.m.  As noted above, the next meeting will be on December 12, 2018 in 217 Illini Union.