Skip to content

5/4/16 UIUC Policy Committee Summary

    Present:  Hadi Esfahani, Harry Hilton, Lew Hopkins, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, Leslie Struble, H. F. Williamson

    The meeting began at about 12:05 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.

    President’s Report

    1. Review of the Minutes for April 13, 2016 Meeting of Policy Committee.  The minutes were approved.
    2. Schedule of Fall Meetings:  The Committee members are responding to a poll concerning day of the week.  If it stays as Wednesday, the schedule for the fall will be:
      • Wednesday, September 14 (2nd Wednesday); Instruction begins August 22 and Labor Day is Sept. 5.
      • Wednesday, October 12 (2nd Wednesday);
      • Wednesday, November 9 (2nd Wednesday).
      • Wednesday, December 7 (1st Wednesday) Reading Day is December 8
    3. (3)  Meeting with Chancellor and Provost.  Hilton and O’Brien will be meeting with Chancellor Wilson and Provost Feser on Friday to discuss what remains to be done to effect censure removal.  Hilton noted in his monthly report that the UIUC Senate had approved SP.15.21: Revisions to the Statutes to Implement the Recommendations of the Hiring Policies and Procedures Review Committee, an important step in this process.  Hilton and O’Brien will also seek clarification on the status of the UIUC background checks policy.

    Action Items

    1. Review of Spring Tenure Workshop.  Hilton reported that the workshop had gone well and was well received by the 22 attendees, many of whom indicated that the presentations were very helpful to them.
    2. Planning for the Annual Meeting on May 10.  It was agreed that the brief business meeting should be first followed by the presentation by Governor Edgar.  NOTE:  Following the meeting, it was decided to move the meeting to 314 A & B Illini Union to get a better venue.
    3. Attendance at Annual Meeting AAUP Meeting in Washington, D.C.  Hilton, Francis, and Rosenstock were approved as delegates from the chapter.  A motion to provide support for up to $800 of documented expenses for each was approved.
    4. Chapter Position on Negotiations between University and NTFC Local 6546.  Hilton noted that the resolution drafted by Liebersohn, O’Brien, Rosenstock, and him was passed unanimously by the Committee membership and transmitted it to the President, Chancellor, Provost and the media.
    5. Ad hoc Committee on Shared Governance Issues.  Esfahani reported that a questionnaire has been prepared to be circulated to department heads and chairs.  After it has been reviewed by the members of the Policy Committee, it will be circulated in coordination with the Provost’s office.  Once that is completed, it is planned to survey of the faculty.  Hilton and O’Brien will discuss this with the Provost at their meeting.
    6. Status of Removal from Censure.  As noted above, Hilton and O’Brien will be meeting with campus leaders on this issue.  It seems unlikely that the process will be completed in time to have this on the agenda at the Annual Meeting this year.  One step still left is to solicit the position of the Chapter on the campus response.
    7. Report on Chapter Web Site.  Struble reported on the site and what the next steps will be.  She and Williamson will prepare an item regarding Chapter dues.

    The meeting adjourned at about 1:20 p.m.

    Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary