Present: Ken Andersen, Connie Caveny, Harry Hilton, Lewis Hopkins, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, John Prussing, Leslie Struble, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:10 p.m.
- Guest Speaker. Hilton introduced John Kindt, Chair of the Senate Faculty and Staff Benefits Committee. Kindt led a discussion on a number of topics including (a) the changes health insurance for retirees for whom the deadline for making a choice is December 13 and (b) the status of the possible pension legislation in Springfield.
- Report. Hilton reported that he has contacted the Provost’s office to see when the Provost and Barbara Wilson are free in order to determine a date for the spring tenure workshop. He has also invited the Chancellor to meet with us at her convenience.
- Review of the Minutes for October 16, 2013 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes for the meeting were approved.
- Planning for December 11 Meeting of Policy Committee.
- Open Access Publishing. Professor Sarah Shreeves will be our guest at 11 a.m. in 211 Illini Union to lead a discussion on this topic.
- Policy Committee Meeting. The final Committee meeting for the fall will follow the meeting with Professor Shreeves and will be in 209 Illini Union.
- Approval of spring schedule of regular Policy Committee meetings. Given we meet on the third Wednesday when possible, the schedule for the spring would be (each meeting will be in 215 Illini Union).:
January 22 (fourth Wednesday; instruction begins January 21)
February 19, March 19, April 16 (third Wednesdays) (spring vacation starts Mach 22)
May 7 (first Wednesday, last day of instruction
The Annual Meeting would be May 13 if held on the Tuesday of final examination week.
Hilton was concerned about whether or not another day of the week would be preferred by members of the committee. The members will be surveyed and this issue will be discussed in December.
- Chapter Reaction to Wozniak Decision. Hilton indicated that he would be working with the Policy Committee to determine what we might indicate about our concerns over the case to the Board of Trustees and President Easter.