Present: Connie Caveny, Lewis Hopkins, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:10 p.m. with Prussing presiding.
- Review of the Minutes for February 14, 2011. These were approved.
- Schedule of Meetings for rest of Spring 2011 Semester. The schedule of Policy Committee meetings, the meeting with Katherine Laing, and the Annual Meeting were listed in the agenda. (NOTE: The room for the meeting with Laing on May 2, 2011 at 11 a.m. is 215 Illini Union.)
- Review of Meeting with President Hogan. The members felt that there had been a good interaction with President Hogan at the meeting. He is a strong supporter of Academic Freedom and was informed on the Academic Freedom cases of interest to us (Howell, Wozniak). He also is aware of the importance of Faculty Governance. He reported on actions that are being taken with regard to the Academy and noted that the new Memorandum of Understanding would be forthcoming and available to the public. His comments about the restructuring of the campus and university administration were viewed favorably by many of the committee members.
- Review of Spring Tenure Workshop held February 15, 2011. The attendance was up significantly from last year and the interaction went well.
- Report from the Nominating Committee. Williamson reported on behalf of the rest of the Committee (Hilton, Spitze) that the candidates for 2011-2012 will be: President: John Prussing; Vice President: Leslie Struble; Secretary: Connie Caveny; and Treasurer: H. F. Williamson. The proposal to approve this slate was passed unanimously. This information will be sent to the members of the Chapter as specified in the Bylaws.
- Preparations for Chapter’s Annual Meeting on May 10, 2011 in 209 Illini Union.
- Arrangements: The starting time for the program will be 4 p.m. with an informal social hour with refreshments starting around 3:30 p.m. Hilton will arrange the refreshments,
- Agenda: It was agreed that the program would include (a) the Report from the Chapter President and, if they are available and willing, talks on (b) on the “State of the State” by Ken Andersen; and (c) the “State of the National AAUP” by Cary Nelson.
- Discussion of Actions by the Senate, the Senate Executive Committee, and Senate Committees. The action on the Institute of Aviation by the Educational Policy Committee was discussed. Members of the Policy Committee and, perhaps, the Shared Governance Committee will be addressing the general issues raised with regard to changes in the status of units at various levels on the campus.
- Report on Chapter Web Site. Caveny reported on the encouraging meeting that she and Uchtmann had with Grohe, the current webmaster. She feels that we on the Policy Committee are not able to take on much of the management of this site (with Grohe’s help) particularly with regard to the timely posting of new items. She proposed that the Chapter arrange to purchase a copy of the necessary software (Dream Weaver) to accomplish this task. A motion to do so was made and passed.