Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Geneva Belford, Linn Belford, Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Harry Liebersohn, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:12 p.m. with John Prussing presiding.
- Review of the Minutes for November 8, 2010 Meeting of Policy Committee. These were approved.
- Schedule of Policy Committee Meetings for Spring 2011 Semester. Prussing pointed out that the schedule was in the agenda for our spring meetings: January 18 (Tuesday); February 14; (March 14; April 11; and May 2.
- Other Meetings during Spring 2011 Semester. The dates for two other meetings are also set. The Spring Tenure Workshop will be 2:30 – 4 pm on Feb 15, 2011 in 210 Illini Union, the General Lounge. The annual meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 10, 2010. Hilton discussed how we can better publicize the Workshop including the possibility of ads in both the Daily Illini and Inside Illinois.
- Aminmansour Remarks. Aminmansour shared his concerns that we need to (a) do more to inform the faculty of what we do and the actions we have taken and (b) undertake additional actions. There was a general discussion of what these actions might be.
- Review of Meeting with President Ikenberry on November 8, 2010. There was general agreement that this meeting had been productive and informative. We hope that he is successful in his attempts to reach a successful resolution of the problems we feel that the Academy has created.
- Future Meetings with Campus and University Administrators. Prussing will continue working to reschedule our meeting with President Hogan. It will then be possible to consider other possible guests such as Katherine Laing, Executive Director of the President’s Office of Governmental Relations.
- Plans for Spring Tenure Workshop. As noted above (see item (3)),Hilton has scheduled the Workshop for 2:30 – 4 pm on Feb 15, 2011 in 210 Illini Union, the General Lounge. The participants will again be Richard Wheeler, Barbara Wilson, James Imlay (P&T Committee past Chair), and Billie Jean Theide (chair, FAC). A copy of a draft of the announcement was included in the packet for this meeting. We discussed how to improve the publicity for the meeting.
- Actions on Wozniak Case. The actions that have been taken and the documents prepared particularly by the Finkin in his role as Chair of the Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure were discussed.
- Discussion of Actions by the Senate and the Senate Executive Committee. One important item on the agenda of the December 6 Senate meeting is the second reading of the USSP proposal revising the Statues to provide better protection for the academic freedoms of our staff. There is also a proposal to eliminate the BS and MS programs in Human Factors at the Institute of Aviation. An item that may come to a future meeting relates to the policies regarding the release of ICES scores.
- Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee Reports. Robinson reported on one ongoing case and the problems the individual is having with the department. He noted that this department was one of those being reviewed by Vice Provost Wilson with regard to its procedures and bylaws.