Skip to content

4/28/08 UIUC AUUP Policy Committee Summary

Present:  Abbas Aminmansour, Ken Andersen, Geneva Belford, Linn Belford, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson

The meeting began at about 12:15 p.m. with Donald Uchtmann presiding.

President’s Report

  1. Review of the Minutes and the Summary Report for Meeting April 7, 2008.  These documents were approved.
  2. Schedule of Next Meetings.  It was agreed to hold a meeting on June 9, 2008 in the University YMCA Boardroom.
  3. Other
    • Tenure Workshop.  Uchtmann and Hilton will meet with Provost Katehi at her request to discuss the tenure workshop.  We are planning to hold another workshop in the spring, preferably on a different day of the week
    • Actions Regarding National Elections.  Spitze asked for a review of what had occurred so that a record could be kept.  Uchtmann noted that there was no formal action taken by the Policy Committee.  An email was sent to the members reminding them to vote, indicating that they could obtain a replacement ballot if that were necessary, and noting that a UIUC colleague was the incumbent candidate for President.  Spitze noted that it is important that any such actions taken in the future be started much earlier in the election cycle.
    • Chapter Web Site.  It was agreed that the names of the Policy Committee and Committee Chairs should be on the web site if they are not already.

Action Items

  1. Preparations for Chapter’s Annual Meeting on May 6 in 405 IUB
  2. Announcement to Chapter Members.  The announcement was approved with the addition for the agenda of the Business Meeting of the presentation of the Standing Rules (see item 5).
  3. Refreshments.  Hilton discussed the choices for refreshments.  It was decided to have wine, cheese and crackers, and non-alcoholic beverages such as bottled water.
  4. Preparation of Chapter’s Standing Rules.  Andersen discussed the version in the packetA motion was approved unanimously to accept the Rules with the agreement that a note would be added indicating how these rules were created.
  5. Attendance at National Meeting.
    • Certification of Delegates.  It was moved and approved to select Ken Andersen as a delegate from the Chapter.
    • Financial Support.  It was moved and approved to provide support of up to $1000 for documented expenses for the Chapter’s delegates not reimbursed by the State Conference.

Reports

  1. Academy on Capitalism and Limited Government Fund.  Aminmansour noted that review is continuing on the revised Memorandum of Agreement.  The Chancellor has indicated that he will bring the final draft to the Senate for review.  Uchtmann will contact Tom Ulen in his role as Chair of the committee reviewing this situation indicating that we are following this matter and would appreciate his informing us when information is available.  We would be pleased to meet with him if he feels that would be appropriate.
  2. Global Campus Initiative.  The discussion of this issue at the recent Board of Trustees meeting was summarized.  There is concern over how relations between the GCI and other campus on-line courses will be handled.  It might be efficient to have one web site for all such courses.  There would be more problems if it were suggested that other on-line courses should be brought under the GCI umbrella. 
  3. Academic Freedom and Tenure.  Robinson discussed how he will be handling cases next year. 
  4. Government Relations.  Andersen is concerned that Senate Bill 2288 will not pass and that, instead, there will be a resolution to put a constitutional amendment for a graduated income tax on the November ballot (he feels this is unlikely to pass) so there will be fewer complaints about the failure to act through legislation.  Regarding the vote on whether or not to hold a Constitutional Convention, there is opposition from a number of groups from across the spectrum (e.g., Chamber of Commerce, Unions, those with state pensions).  The concern for those opposing this issue is that the general electorate will be so angry that this will seem like a good way to try to solve the situation in Springfield.
  5. National Office.  There is concern and uncertainly about the nature of the plans for the national office.  Uchtmann will indicate to Nelson that we would like him to report on this issue at the Annual Meeting.
  6. Senate.  Prussing reported that GUP will be presenting the final report on handling multi-year contracts for non-tenured staff.  He feels that there are no issues that should concern the AAUP in this proposal.  It has undergone a thorough, multi-year review.
  7. Other Issues.  At our next meeting, we will consider such issues as (a) proposals to permit concealed weapons on campus and (b) administrators whom we could invite to meet with us next year.