Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Geneva Belford, Linn Belford, Harry Hilton, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:15 p.m. with Donald Uchtmann presiding.
- Review of the Minutes and the Summary Report for Meeting January 14, 2008 and the Minutes for the Meeting with Vice President Rao. These documents were approved.
- Review of Policy Committee Meeting with Vice President Rao. We agreed that the meeting with the Vice President went well. Hilton noted that we should follow-up by inviting her to join us again next year.
- National Membership Drive. Uchtmann discussed the letter he had prepared to accompany a membership drive mailing from the national office to UIUC faculty (a copy was in the packet). The importance of following up on this effort was stressed. Members of the membership committee could consider how to do this most effectively. This would include providing us with information on what is in the mailing. The local campaign could include individual visits to possible new members. Perhaps the first group to visit would be those who attended the Promotion and Tenure Workshop (see next item).
- Planning for Next Promotion and Tenure Workshop. A copy of the announcement of the workshop was in the packet. Hilton discussed how it would be publicized through a mass email as well as press releases for Inside Illinois and the Daily Illini. A mailing will also be sent to our members with the announcement as an attachment. Uchtmann will welcome the attendees on behalf of the AAUP and Hilton will be the moderator.
- Selection of Date for Annual Meeting. If we followed tradition, the Annual Meeting would be Reading Day which is on May 1, 2008. There are a number of other events and meetings usually scheduled for that day so it was agreed to consider the feasibility of an alternative date early in the final exam period. Tuesday, May 6 will be considered.
- Selection of Nominating Committee. A nominating committee of Harry Hilton, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, and Bill Williamson was approved.
- Preparation of Chapter’s Standing Rules. Andersen has reported that he hopes to have a new draft ready to circulate at the March meeting.
- Academy on Capitalism and Limited Government Fund. The steering committee continues to work with the sponsors on issues such as the Memorandum of Agreement.
- Global Campus Program. There was a brief discussion of the reports that the enrollments for the initial period had been much lower than expected or hoped.
- Report on Chapter Web Site Revisions. Uchtmann noted that the site had undergone a recent revision so that it contained all of the relevant documents (e.g., minutes, position papers). It was suggested that the URL be placed on our stationery and be include on the announcement of the Promotion and Tenure Workshop.
- Invitations to Campus Administrators to meet with Policy Committee in future. Suggestions were discussed for individuals who might be invited in addition to Vice President Rao
- Senate Actions. Aminmansour reported on President’s White’s meeting with the Senate Executive Committee.