UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, Bruce Rosenstock, Leslie Struble (electronic); H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:35 p.m. with O’Brien presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for November 7, 2019 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) President’s Report. O’Brien noted that we need to prepare for the meetings we have next month with the Chancellor and with the meeting on the report from the Task force on Faculty Sexual Misconduct. In January, we will return to the planning for our membership campaign.
(3) Review of spring schedule of meetings
(4) Governance Survey. Discussion was postponed until the next meeting when Esfahani will be able to attend.
(5) Discussion of Final Report of the Task Force on Faculty Sexual Misconduct. There was a lengthy discussion of the report and our preparation for the meeting with the members of the Task Force. This included such topics as (a) the problem of handling the “she said – he said” cases; (b) the role of middle-level administrators; and (c) the effect of any proposed changes on the authority of the Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure. Other topics covered included the nature of the sanctions that might be imposed. The role of placing an individual on paid leave was reviewed with regard to how it might be imposed an whether or not it is viewed as a severe sanction.
(6) Setting an Agenda for Upcoming Meeting with Chancellor Jones. As noted above, the meeting has been scheduled for January 27 at 11:00 a.m. at the Swanlund Administration Building. It wa agreed to include two topics from the agenda for the last meeting: the status of the new budget model and the role of faculty as advisors to the administration. Two new topics will be: (a) what the University is doing to support faculty affected by trolling; and (b) how the University and other Academic organizations will react to President Trump’s December 11 Executive Order regarding anti-Semitism. The final draft of the agenda will be circulated as part of the preparation for the January 23 meeting of the Policy Committee.
(7) Adjournment. There were no reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:36 p.m. As noted above, the next Policy Committee meeting will be on January 23, 2020 in 217 Illini Union around 12:30 p.m. following the meeting with the Task Force on Faculty Sexual Misconduct.