UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for September 5, 2019
217 Illini Union
Web site: http://www.aaup-ui.org/
Present: Bettina Francis, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, Bruce Rosenstock, Daniel Steward, Leslie Struble (link), H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:33 p.m. with O’Brien presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for May 2, 2019 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved with the correction of the typographic error (“gone” for “good” in item (3)). There was a follow-up discussion of the report on the meeting with Provost Cangellaris regarding such issues as the status of the new budget model; the status of the budget for the Carle College of Medicine; and the status of the proposed policies on administrative leave and sanctions short of dismissal.
(2) Proposed Schedule of Fall Meetings: The proposed schedule for the rest of the semester is as follows with the meetings starting at 12:30 p.m. and located in 217 Illini:
Thursday, October 3 (1st Thursday);
Thursday, November 7 (1st Thursday).
Thursday, December 12 (2nd Thursday); Reading Day is also December 12
(3) President’s Report. O’Brien circulated a memo outlining two issues of importance for the coming year.
(a) Membership Campaign. He wanted to review what we have done so far and what our strategy could be as we go forward. Regarding the latter, he presented a draft of the information he had used in his meetings with potential new members. A number of other possible strategies were discussed such as a mailing to the entire faculty; AAUP posters in our offices, and lists of who are the current chapter leaders and members. It was clear that in effective membership campaign was a critical task for this year.
(b) The large number of faculty at the University of Illinois accused of sexual harassment. There was a general discussion of the presentations at the Annual Meeting in last April and the policies being followed in handling these cases. Rosenstock noted that the Faculty Sexual Misconduct Committee will be presenting its report later this fall.
(4) Composition of Continuing Chapter Committees for 2019-2020
(a) Policy Committee. The roster of the 2018-2019 committee was reviewed with notes of the individuals who have stepped down. O’Brien asked that those with suggestions for new members send the names to him.
(b) Chapter Committees. The proposed composition of the committees was discussed and suggestions for new members requested as well.
(5) Possible Activities for the Fall Semester.
(a) Meeting with Administrators. No meetings are planned at this point.
(b) Workshops and Chapter Meetings. Once the report of the Faculty Sexual Misconduct Committee is issued, we can consider whether another meeting on this topic would be possible.
(a) Report from our Liaison to the NTFC Local #6546 Chapter. Steward reported that the Chapter had reached a contract settlement with the administration over the summer.
(b) Academic Freedom Committee. Prussing noted that the first step in handling requests for help is usually to recommend they contact the Faculty Advisory Committee.
There were no other reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:40 p.m. As noted above, the next Policy Committee meeting will be at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 3 in 217 Illini Union.