UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Hadi Esfahani, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Bruce Rosenstock, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:30 p.m. with Hilton presiding.
(2) Review of the Minutes for December 12, 2018 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(3) President’s Report. Hilton discussed the following items in his report.
(4) Schedule of Spring Meetings of the Policy Committee. Given the decision to have the meetings on Thursday starting at 12:30 PM in 217 Illini Union, the schedule for the rest of the spring will be:
(5) Preparation for Meeting with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson
(6) Chapter and National Policies on Sexual Harassment and Title IX Guidelines. We discussed what we feel are the positions that are being taken on these issues particularly regarding guidelines for determining whether a violation has occurred. Rosenstock agreed to prepare a proposal for the Chapter on these issues.
(7) Proposed Changes in Shared Organizational Structure of the AAUP. Hilton led a discussion of this issue including our concern that advocacy chapters might get submerged within the new, merged organization. Rosenstock reported on the information he received from Christopher Simeone at the national office concerning the implications for the situation on our campus with regard to the two AAUP-related organizations. Simeone assured him that each chapter’s status will remain the same.
(8) Planning for Other Meetings
(9) Preparation for Annual Meeting
(10) Report from the Membership Committee. Rosenstock and Laugesen discussed the flyer that they had prepared and the details of the proposed membership campaign. Current members will be asked to join in the campaign this spring to help protect the existence of the AAUP.
(11) Report on Activities of Shared Governance Committee. Esfahani reported that Vice Provost Bernhard will arrange for the distribution of the questionnaire to faculty.
(12) Report from Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee. Prussing discussed two cases that had been brought to the committee. He noted that in one case the individual has brought a case in the courts so we are not able to do much work with the faculty member until the case has been resolved. In the other, the individual had taken a number of actions but had not contacted FAC so was advised to do so.
There were no other reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:47 p.m. As noted above, the next meeting will be on Thursday, February 13, 2019 starting at 12:30 PM in 217 Illini Union