UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Bruce Rosenstock, Leslie Struble (Skype), H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about noon with Harry Hilton presiding.
(1) Introductions. Hilton welcomed Rosenstock to his first meeting as a member of the Policy Committee.
(2) Review of the Minutes for April 25, 2018 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved with the correction of a typo in the entry for the adjournment time.
(3) President’s Report. Hilton reviewed the key topics in his report, some of which are covered further elsewhere in the minutes.
(4) Review of fall schedule of meetings of the Policy Committee:
(6) Discussion of Annual Chapter Meeting and Program on May 8, 2018. Hilton reported that he felt that it had been a good meeting with an interested audience. He discussed briefly the question of choosing a date for the Annual Meeting and whether a different procedure might be chosen for 2019.
(7) Report on Shared Governance Issues. Hilton will work with Esfahani to see what help might be needed to follow up on our first survey. This is a possible topic for a Workshop or the Annual Meeting.
(8) Preparation for Meeting with President Killeen and Executive Vice President Wilson. 11 a.m. Wednesday, October 24. There was a brief discussion of possible topics for this meeting. One example is the issues that arise with the establishment of the Discovery Partners Institute. Rosenstock offered to work with Laugesen on the program.
(9) Composition of Continuing Chapter Committees for 2018-2019. The proposed composition of for the Committees for the coming year was noted: (a) Government Relations: McMahon, Uchtmann; (b) Academic Freedom: Prussing, Struble, Parker; (c) Programs: Hilton; (d) Membership: Williamson, Laugesen; (e) Communications: Struble; (f) Campus Governance: Esfahani, Hopkins, O’Brien, Francis, Steward
(10) Other Possible Planned Activities for Chapter for Fall Semester
There were no reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:20 p.m. As noted above, the next meeting will be on October 3, 2018 in 213 Illini Union.