UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for October 11, 2017
217 Illini Union
Web site: http://www.aaup-ui.org/
Present: Ken Andersen, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, Daniel Steward, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:05 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for September 6, 2017 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) President’s Report. Hilton reviewed the key topics in his report, some of which are covered further elsewhere in the minutes.
(a) He continues to follow up on the status of the revisions in the Statutes regarding hiring policies that have been approved by the three senates and the Senate Council. They were transmitted to the president on December 5, 2016.
(b) He reported on the meeting of Trustees Koritz (chair) and McMillan (past chair) with O’Brien and Hilton on Sept 6. President Killeen and Vice President Wilson also attended. He indicated that the meeting went well and hopes that it can be arranged on a regular basis.
(c) Parker continues to track actions which are being taken at the state level regarding tenure and course content.
(d) The shared governance questionnaire was resent by the Provost’s office with a deadline of last week. The results will be reviewed by our ad hoc committee. A similar questionnaire will be sent to tenure track and tenured faculty through the Provost’s office.
(e) He is arranging a meeting with Chancellor Jones once the spring meeting dates have been determined.
(f) As soon as the new Provost is in office, Hilton will work with her/him and Associate Provost Bernhard to set up a date for the Tenure and Promotion Workshop in the spring.
(3) Free Speech Task Force. Hilton noted the report that interim Provost Wilkin plans to set up a task force “to develop permanent policies for those situations” (News- Gazette, October 11) involving free speech issue. He asked if there any individuals from the Committee interested in being on the Task Force.
(5) Review of fall schedule of meetings:
(a) noon, Wednesday, November 8, 2017: Policy Committee, 217 Illini Union
(b) noon, Wednesday, December 13, 2017: Policy Committee, 217 Illini Union
(6) Review of spring schedule of regular Policy Committee meetings and Annual Meeting:
(a) The proposed schedule for the spring policy Committee meetings is:
January 17 (third Wednesday; instruction begins Jan. 16; King Holiday is Jan.15)
February 14 (second Wednesday)
March 14 (second Wednesdays) (spring vacation starts March 17)
April 11 (second Wednesday)
May 2 (first Wednesday, last day of instruction)
There was discussion of the procedures used to approve the calendar. A final review will occur at the November Policy Committee meeting.
(b) The Annual Meeting would be May 8 if held on the Tuesday of final examination week as it has been scheduled in recent years. Hilton indicated that we will review this further early in the spring.
There were no additional reports so the meeting adjourned at about 1:00 p.m.
As noted above, the meeting next month will be November 8, 2017 in 217 Illini Union.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary