UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, John Prussing, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:05 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.
(2) Review of the Minutes for January 18, 2017 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(3) President’s Report. Hilton reviewed the key topics in his report, some of which are covered elsewhere in the minutes.
(4) Review of schedule of meetings for spring semester.
(5) Meeting with Shawn Gilmore, President of the NTFC Local #5646. Hilton reported on the meeting he, O’Brien and Prussing had with Mr. Gilmore. Hilton also circulated a copy of the “Joint Organizing Agreement between the AAUP and the AFT.” It was not clear when or where it was in effect since it was note dated and there were ten institutions listed for initial exploration including our campus. There was an extensive discussion of what might occur given that there were two AAUP “organizations” on campus: the current advocacy chapter and the group organizing the non-tenure track faculty.
(6) Chapter Activity on National Issues. O’Brien reported on a request for the Chapter to participate in efforts to address policy issues being considered at the national level that affect the academic community. His report will be on the agenda for the March meeting of the policy Committee. He will see if there are any resources available from the national office as well. The proposal may include writing to our representative in Congress.
(7) Meetings with Campus Administrators
(8) Planning for Annual Meeting
The meeting adjourned at about 12:55 p.m.
As noted above, the meeting next month will be March 15, 2017 in 213 Illini Union.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary