UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Present: Ken Andersen, Hadi Esfahani, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 12:15 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for November 9, 2016 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) President’s Report. Hilton went over his brief December 7, 2016 report which principally covered recent and future Policy Committee and Chapter meetings.
(3) Review of schedule of meetings for spring semester.
(4) Review of December 7 Meeting of Policy Committee with President Killeen. It was agreed that the meeting with President Killeen had gone well.
(5) Review of December 6 Chapter Meeting on AAUP Censure. The meeting served the purpose of providing members of the Chapter in particular and the campus in general to have input on the actions being taken to remove the campus from the AAUP censure list. Chapter leaders will continue to work with campus and Senate leaders on the next steps to be taken.
(6) Resolution on the Proposed Investment, Performance and Accountability Commitment (IPAC). The draft resolution prepared by Struble and McMahon was reviewed. The resolution was approved as amended.
(7) Meetings with Chancellor Jones and Provost Feser. The meeting will be at 11 a.m. on Monday, January 23 in 213 Illini Union. The draft agenda was reviewed. It was agreed that each time the Chancellor is specifically noted (e.g., for remarks) the Provost would also be listed. One topic that will be added is the governance survey. A revised agenda will be reviewed at the January 18 Policy Committee meeting.
(8) Report on Activities of the Shared Governance Committee. Hilton reported that the governance questionnaire had been forwarded to the Provost for adoption.
(9) Movie Co-sponsorship by the AAUP with CFA. O’Brien reported that the presentation of the movie “Starving the Beast” at the Art Theater on December 1 had been a success with strong attendance. He was able to provide attendees with information about the AAUP.
(10) Membership. Possible ways to increase membership and strengthen the financial position of the Chapter were discussed.
As noted above, the Policy Committee meeting next month will be at noon on January 18, 2017 in 213 Illini and the meeting with Chancellor Jones and Provost Feser will be at 11 a.m. on January 23, 2017 in 213 Illini Union.
The meeting adjourned at about 1:18 p.m.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary