Back to Index of Minutes
UIUC AAUP Policy Committee
Minutes for September 14, 2016
213 Illini Union
Web site: http://www.aaup-ui.org/
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Richard Laugesen, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, H. F. Williamson; Guests: Bruce Rosenstock, Mark Steinberg
The meeting began at about 12:05 p.m. with Harry Hilton presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for May 4, 2016 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(2) Comment Period. Rosenstock reported that Bonnie Washick, a postdoctoral fellow in Political Science and Gender and Women’s Studies, is on campus and doing research on trigger warnings. The possibility of holding a chapter meeting this fall with her as the speaker was discussed. Parker discussed the lockout that had occurred at Long Island University-Brooklyn and the apparent significant negative impacts it is having on academics at the University.
(3) President’s Report. Hilton went over his September 13, 2016 President’s Report. The topics he highlighted included the confusion on campus about the actions taken at the national AAUP meeting; the meeting of Hilton, O’Brien, and Prussing with two of the members of the Board of Trustees; and plans for the tenure and shared governance workshops during the coming year.
(4) Review of fall schedule of meetings: As outlined in the agenda, the remaining meetings will be:
(a) Special Meeting for voting members of the Policy Committee with President Killeen.
Wednesday, December 7: 11 a.m., special meeting, 217 Illini Union
(b) Regular Meetings of Policy Committee:
Wednesday, October 12: noon, regular meeting, 213 Illini Union
Wednesday, November 9: noon, regular meeting, 213 Illini Union
Wednesday, December 7: noon, regular meeting, 213 Illini Union
(5) Discussion of Annual Chapter Meeting and Program on May 10, 2016. It was agreed that the meeting had gone well given how effective a speaker Governor Edgar had been.
(6) Report on AAUP Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. There was a lengthy discussion of what had taken place before and at the Annual Meeting with regard to the censure actions and the confusion that some individuals had about what had occurred. It was proposed that we sponsor an open Chapter meeting this fall to explain what happened and where we go from here.
(7) Report on Academic Freedom and Shared Governance Issues. Aminmansour led a discussion on this issue. It was noted that Esfahani and the rest of the committee on campus governance will be continuing their efforts this fall which will address some of the issues raised in the discussion.
(8) Invitations to Campus Administrators to meet with Policy Committee. Hilton noted that once Chancellor Jones has arrived on campus, he will be invited to meet with the Policy Committee.
(9) Planning for the Tenure Workshop. Hilton noted that the planning for the Spring 2017 Tenure Workshop is waiting for the naming of the new Provost.
As noted above, the next meetings will be on October 12, 2016 in 213 Illini Union.
The meeting adjourned at about 1:10 p.m.
Prepared by H. Williamson, Secretary