Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on September 16, 2015
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Ken Andersen, Connie Caveny, Hadi Esfahani, Harry Hilton, Lew Hopkins, Walter McMahon, David O’Brien, John Prussing, H. F. Williamson. Guests: Fred Hoxie, Harriet Murav, Bruce Rosenstock
The meeting began at about 12:05 p.m. with Harry Hilton O’Brien presiding.
(1) Introductions. Hilton introduced the guests and had the Committee members introduce themselves.
(2) Review of the Minutes for May 6, 2015 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes were approved.
(3) Comment Period. Hilton reported that one result of an earlier meeting of the officers was the decision to provide an opportunity for guests to report to the Policy Committee. Murav discussed two issues in the period. The first was a presentation on the problems raised by the proposed University Policy on Background Checks. These were summarized in RS.16.02 to be considered at the September 21 Senate meeting. There was general agreement with the concerns about the proposed policies. Murav also urged the Chapter to become more active this year including having a more diverse group of Policy Committee members and speakers.
(4) Remarks from President. Hilton reported on his meeting with Vice Provost Benmanoun. He also asked to speak to the Board of Trustees but refused because they apparently felt this was an issue in adjudication on not suitable for the agenda. The President has leaders of the Chapter to meet with him and campus leaders on the issue. Rosenstock indicated that the President also will meet with CFA leaders on this issue. Aminmansour and others noted that they hoped the discussion would emphasize that the academic freedom problems on this campus are more widespread than some are aware.
(5) Review of fall schedule of Policy Committee meetings: The remaining regular meetings of the Committee will begin at noon in 209 Illini Union on Wednesday, October 14; Wednesday, November 18; and Wednesday, December 9.
(6) Report on AAUP Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. Hilton reported what had occurred leading up to the nearly unanimous (one no) vote approving the proposal to censure the University of Illinois.
(7) Review of Roster for Policy Committee. (The members were asked to check the roster to be sure the information was correct.
(8) Preparation of a Chapter Meeting. Hilton and the other Chapter leaders had agreed on the importance of holding a Chapter Meeting on the censure issue as soon as possible this fall. A draft poster was included in the meeting packet. Hoxie and others agreed with the importance of such activities in helping our newer Chapter members know more about the AAUP. There was agreement that (a) we add a speaker on the criminal background check policy and (b) we obtain a larger room. The suggested date was October 6.
(10) Composition of Continuing Chapter Committees for 2015-2016. There was a brief discussion of the list of suggested key members of the various committees. Andersen indicated that he would not be able to play a leadership role of the Government Relations committee.
(11) Governance Workshop. There was general discussion of the role the Chapter would play in governance issues on campus. Hopkins, Esfahani, and others will work on the approaches we will take including the likelihood of holding a governance workshop later this fall.
(12) Campus Visit of Hans-Jeorg Tiede. Hilton has indicated the Chapter supports the visit which will most likely occur in late October.