Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on September 10, 2012
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Kenneth Andersen, Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Lewis Hopkins, Cary Nelson, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:07 p.m. with Leslie Struble presiding.
(1) Remarks on Coursera. Struble reported the concerns raised by individuals such as Spitze and on her discussions of the program with individuals such as Nick Burbules. So far there are no concerns about this non-credit program. It is early in the process, and our campus may take a leadership role as the program develops.
(2) Review of Roster for Policy Committee and Introductions. The members were asked to introduce themselves and to let Williamson know of any corrections that should be made in their entry on the roster.
(3) Remarks on Pensions Law Suit. It was noted that there was law suit brought with the support of the AAUP to sue the state for not fully funding the pension systems. It reached the Illinois Supreme Court but was turned down since no one had yet been injured. There may be an opportunity to participate in a similar suit soon given some of the recent changes in the pension system.
(4) Collective Bargaining Issues. The statement on the Role of AAUP Chapter in CB Campaign circulated to Chapter members during the summer was part of the packet for this meeting. It was agreed that one or more meetings should be scheduled to continue this discussion.
(5) Invitations to Campus Administrators to meet with Policy Committee. Struble reported that she had contacted both President Easter and Chancellor Wise thanking them for meeting with us relatively recently. Chancellor Wise replied indicating she would like to meet with us again this year. Struble also had or will invite Christophe Pierre, VPAA; Ilesanmi Adesida, Provost and VCAA; Peter Schiffer, VCR. [NOTE: These meetings have now been scheduled as follows: Pierre, November 5; Adesida, December 10; and Schiffer, February 11.] The possibility of having speakers to talk about changes in the pension system was also discussed. [NOTE: Avijit Ghosh and Fred Giertz have been scheduled to join us at 11 a.m. at the next meeting on October 1.]
(6) Review of the Minutes for April 30, 2012 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes for the April 30, 2012 meeting were approved.
(7) Review of fall schedule of regular Policy Committee meetings: The remaining schedule we approved in May is: October 1 (first Monday); November 5 (first Monday); and December 10 (second Monday). All are in 211 Illini Union.
(8) Election of Secretary. Caveny has asked to step down as Secretary while continuing her work as Webmaster. As indicated in the By-Laws (IV, A), a vacancy in this office is filled by the Policy Committee. H. F. Williamson was nominated and elected to be the new Secretary.(9) Plans for Workshop on Shared Governance. There was agreement that the panel discussion on this issue held after the Annual Meeting in May went well. Hopkins is chair of the committee to plan the fall workshop on this issue. Prussing and Hilton are also members. It was agreed that there will be at least two workshops.
For example, one would cover governance at the College and Department level; another at the President’s level. It is planned to hold one of the workshops during the week of November 12-16.
(10) Request to support Publication of major AAUP report “Recommended Principles & Practices to Guide Academic-Industry Relationships.” Nelson discussed how this report had come to be and the importance of having printed copies available. It was moved, seconded and approved to provide $500 in support of this publication.