Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on January 17, 2012
Present: Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Michael Grossman, Harry Hilton, Lewis Hopkins, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:10 p.m. with John Prussing presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for December 5, 2011. The minutes for the December 5, 2011 meeting were approved with one minor correction in the first sentence of (3)(a): the word “of” was added so that the sentence finishes “the role of collective bargaining.”
(2) Schedule of Meetings for Spring 2011 Semester. Prussing went over the schedule briefly noting that we still need to find a room for the March 12 meeting and that the date for the Tenure Workshop is March 13 (see item (7) below).
(3) Meeting December 8, 2011 with CFA Leaders. Prussing reported that the only individuals from the AAUP who attended were from the Policy Committee (e.g., Prussing, Hopkins, Uchtmann, Spitze Williamson, Nelson). A number of issues were discussed including the contrasting roles of the AAUP in that the national AAUP is associated with the campaign to gather signatures while the UIUC AAUP Chapter has not taken a position on this issue. Prussing complimented Jim Barrett on his presentation of the position supporting a union.
(4) Chapter Position on Collective Bargaining. Given that the AAUP is involved in the campaign on the campus, Hopkins pointed out that it is important that we establish the position of the Policy Committee and the Chapter members on this issue. Francis noted that we should be able to provide our members with information on this issue so that they are better able to make a decision if asked to be involved. Struble and Caveny were appointed as a subcommittee to work on how to engage our members on this question. Among those they will consult for background information are Finkin, Nelson, and Barrett.
(5) Search Committee for President of Foundation. Spitze suggested that we inform President Hogan of the importance of having faculty representation on this Committee. It was agreed that Prussing would write a letter to Hogan to this effect. He and others on the Policy Committee in the Senate will see if the leaders of the Senate are in agreement with this suggestion and, if so, can inform Hogan of that fact.
(6) Future Meetings with Campus and University Administrators. Prussing indicated that Michael Andrechak will be our guest at the February 13, 2012 meeting in particular to discuss the December 1, 2011 presentation by Howard Bunsis.
(7) Plans for Spring Tenure Workshop. Hilton announced that he has set up the Tenure Workshop to be held in the General Lounge (210 Illini Union) from 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 13, 2012. The panelists will again be Richard Wheeler and Barbara Wilson, Provost’s office; James Imlay, P&T Committee; Billie Jean Theide, FAC; and John Prussing.
(8) Selection of Nominating Committee. Prussing announced that Hilton, Spitze, and Williamson have agreed to be members of the Nominating Committee.
(9) Discussion of Actions by the Senate, the Senate Executive Committee, and the University Senates Conference. There was a brief discussion of what actions these groups may take in light of the resignation of Lisa Troyer and the related events involving Enrollment Management issues.
(10) Workshop on Governance. Hopkins agreed to prepare a draft of a proposal for such a workshop and he and Hilton will serve as the preliminary organizing committee.