Back to Index of Minutes
Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on November 8, 2010
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Geneva Belford, Linn Belford, Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Michael Grossman, Harry Hilton, Stanley Ikenberry (guest), Harry Liebersohn, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
A brief meeting of the Policy Committee began at about 12:15 p.m. with John Prussing presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for October 11, 2010 Meeting of Policy Committee. These were approved.
(2) Review of fall schedule of meetings. Prussing noted that the remaining meeting this fall will be on December 6 when we meet with President Hogan at 11 a.m. in 215 Illini Union followed by our regular meeting of the Policy Committee in 211 Illini Union.
(3) Scheduled of Policy Committee meetings for Spring 2011 Semester. As noted in the agenda, a schedule of Policy Committee meetings for the spring has been set up for the following dates and rooms:
Tuesday, January 18 (first day of instruction) in 215 Illini Union
Monday, February 14 in 211 Ilini Union
Monday, March 14 in 211 Ilini Union (spring vacation is March 19-27);
Monday, April 11 in 211 Ilini Union
Monday, May 2 in 211 Illini Union
Prussing also noted that given that final examinations are May 6-13, the date for the Annual Meeting would be May 10 if we followed the pattern of the past two years.
(4) President’s Remarks. Prussing noted that he will be working with Hopkins to set up the newly approved Chapter Committee On Shared Governance.
(5) Preparation for Meeting with Campus Administrators. Prussing noted that we will be working next on preparing for our meeting with President Hogan. One possible guest for the spring would be Katherine Laing, Executive Director of the President’s Office of Governmental Relations.
(6) Discussion of Actions by the Senate and the Senate Executive Committee.
(a) Proposed University Reorganization. This will be a major topic for today’s Senate meeting.
(b) Ad hoc Committee on Adjunct Faculty Appointments. Prussing announced that this committee was being established with representatives from Senate Committees such as GUP (Prussing), AFT, and EOP; and from the APs and Human Resources.
(c) The Academy. The discussion of the Academy on Capitalism and Limited Government Fund is now I the hands of the Senate Executive Committee.
(d) Educational Policy. Aminmansour noted that proposals regarding the Institute of Aviation and its programs are being presented to the Educational Policy Committee.