Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on November 9, 2009
Present: Abbas Aminmansour, Ken Andersen, Geneva Belford, Linn Belford, Connie Caveny, Bettina Francis, Harry Hilton, Lewis Hopkins, Walter McMahon, John Prussing, Arthur Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson
The meeting began at about 11:05 a.m. with John Prussing presiding.
(1) Review of the Minutes for October 12, 2009 Meeting of Policy Committee. These were approved.
(2) Composition of Committees for 2009-2010. Prussing discussed his continuing plans to talk with possible candidates for the Policy Committee and the Chapter Committees.
(3) Articles on UIUC Matters in Fall 2009 Illinois Academe. This issue contained articles written by Prussing, Nelson, and Andersen on the admissions crisis and interview with Finkin s about his new book For the Common Good. There was also a discussion of the editorial policy for Academe particularly with reference to the editor’s decision to publish copies of the controversial cartoons that had been removed from a book published by the Yale University Press.
(5) Meetings with Campus and University Administrators. Prussing has continued his discussion with Vice President Rao’s staff. Other names suggested were President Ikenberry, Associate Vice President Michael Bass, and Michelle Thompson.
(6) Chapter Web Site. Caveny reported that she is still working on contacting Joe Grohe about maintaining the site.
The meeting was adjourned at about 11:45 a.m. with the arrival of Interim Provost Robert Easter.